You Are Enough
I think that, too often, people think of happiness as some kind of goal. That it’s something that you can acquire or “earn” if you accomplish a certain thing.
Oh, I’ll be happy when I lose some weight and get that hot body that I’ve always wanted. Then I will be sexy and all my problems will melt away before the raw power of my sexiness because hot and stuff.
I think I’ll be happy once I can prove that I’m not a failure. When I get a successful job, buy a decent house, and set up a good life for myself, then I’ll have time buy a La-Z-Boy recliner and bask in the happy.
But maybe it’s…
No. I’m just not made to ever be happy. I’m sad and I’m cynical and you don’t “get” me okay how about you leave me alone you don’t understand the hell that is my brain dude like if you spent 20 minutes in this shit you’d be like fwj4ijg;ldfkjflk so get out of my face alright like fuck.
That last one was me, by the way.
I’ve arrived at the conclusion, however, that happiness is not some destination that you have to travel over many deserts and hardships to attain. It is not a carrot dangling at the end of a stick that is meant to motivate you to keep moving forward. It is also not something that you should be actively keeping away from yourself because you feel like you don’t deserve it.
I think happiness is something you embrace. Right here. Right now.
And all you have to do is let yourself.
None of this “I’ll be happy after I lose ten pounds” or this “I’ll be happy after I get that promotion” business. Come on now, you’re much too intelligent and sexy for all of that. Aren’t you? The answer is yes. Please get with the program.
Now I don’t know what bad stuff may have happened to you before. Maybe you’ve had it way worse than me. I know I’ve had it way worse than a lot of other people. But all of that is irrelevant, my friend. The point is that you need to let it go. Because if you’re still hanging on to what someone else may have done to you, or what you may have done to yourself, then you’re not giving your life the respect it deserves.
Because “you” is a phenomenon that will never happen again. Really. There’s a billion billion billion things that conspired to make you happen, you know. The universe had to come about somehow, then the Earth, then the dinosaurs had to die, then your primitive ancestors had to not get killed by a saber-toothed tiger, then your great great great grandparents had to not get hit by some plague, etcetera, etcetera, until we finally arrive at you. And even within you, there is all kinds of shit happening that makes you think and feel and love and dream and… you get the picture.
My point is that, by some miracle, you are here. And that is all the reason in the world for you to be happy. And I just hope that after reading this you put a smile on your face, even if you don’t really feel like it…
Because that person in the future who is ten pounds lighter and has a better job and has all their shit figured out isn’t you right now. And, honestly, right now is the only guarantee you have in life. The real you, the one with all the flaws and misgivings and goals and hopes and nightmares and sadness and laughter, is the only you you have.
And you are enough.
- peachsmooothie likes this
- aregomitchell likes this
- justanexpectation likes this
- lovepoweredmonster likes this
- mydarlingdeadlyboy likes this
- thelostprincess likes this
- marzipan-dream reblogged this from jpbrammer and added:
- garntgunstin likes this
- mary--katherine likes this
- watchwthglitteringeyes likes this
- ruhnelle reblogged this from jpbrammer and added:
- happikattwuzheere reblogged this from jpbrammer
- happikattwuzheere likes this
- sonofabatman reblogged this from obligationaloctopus
- sonofabatman likes this
- spaceoperetta likes this
- frantabulosa reblogged this from obligationaloctopus
- bracklain likes this
- obligationaloctopus reblogged this from jpbrammer
- drestathegnome reblogged this from jpbrammer
- drestathegnome likes this
- shutupimcoloring reblogged this from jpbrammer and added:
- nitrovert-red47 reblogged this from softexplosionofpersistentmemory
- softexplosionofpersistentmemory reblogged this from jpbrammer
- roses-in-december likes this
- roses-in-december reblogged this from jpbrammer
- klausstark likes this
- sixtyeightinchesup reblogged this from jpbrammer
- pmcunningham likes this
- 73h-6r347357 likes this
- thorgis likes this
- thispistolsmokes reblogged this from jpbrammer
- thedarkestwish reblogged this from jpbrammer
- dreams-outloud likes this
- crayonpanda likes this
- enjoyyourbunny likes this
- enjoyyourbunny reblogged this from fourtypercent
- aliciasmithart likes this
- redrunningfox likes this
- wander-luzt likes this
- combatdisco likes this
- eveneosoul likes this
- fourtypercent likes this
- theefrosty reblogged this from jpbrammer
- fourtypercent reblogged this from jpbrammer and added:
- moonicle likes this
- jpbrammer posted this